The Governor's Mansion is located at 700 North Adams Street in Tallahassee; just ten blocks north of the Florida State Capitol. The mansion is home to the governor and first family of Florida.
The original Governor's Mansion (pictured above) was built on the current site in 1907 and was occupied for nearly 50 years by a succession of eleven governors. In 1955, during the term of Governor LeRoy Collins, the first mansion was dismantled when it became structurally unsound. The current mansion was completed in 1956, and the First Family moved into their new home in the Spring of 1957. The Governor's Mansion was designed by renowned Palm Beach architect, Marion Sims Wyeth, and listed in the National Register of Historic Places on July 20, 2006 to coincide with the mansion's fiftieth anniversary.
The mansion's architectural style is Greek Revival and the central portico resembles that of another historic building near Nashville, Tennessee known as the Hermitage, home to Andrew Jackson, Florida's first military governor. The mansion is designed to accommodate both private living and official entertaining for the chief executive of Florida.
The mansion grounds include a screened swimming pool, cabana, exercise room, and beautiful brick patio area. There is also a greenhouse and its adjacent rose garden which provide many of the beautiful flowers and plants found inside the residence.
The eight-member Governor's Mansion Commission, established by the legislature, oversees the mansion. The commission has the important responsibility to "keep the structure, style and character of the Governor's Mansion, its grounds, and all structures thereon consistent with its original plan of construction and design...." [Section 272.18, (3)(a), Florida Statutes]