Link to MyFlorida.com
Sun Behind Lawn Sculpture

Entrance Park

Guests to the Florida Governor’s Mansion approach the residence by way of a manicured park full of lush plants of many native varieties. The grounds of 700 North Adams Street are as much of a highlight to visitors and is the residence itself. Native coontie and needle palms, ferns, hollies, as well as the state wildflower, coreopsis, adorn the grounds at the entrance to the mansion.

Adjacent to the northern edge of the entrance park is a distinguished, antebellum home known as The Grove. The Grove served as the temporary Governor’s Mansion between 1955-1957 when Governor and Mrs. LeRoy Collins returned to their own home during construction of the current residence.  
 

Florida's Finest

The focal point of the park is the bronze sculpture created by Tallahassee sculptor W. Stanley “Sandy” Proctor entitled Florida’s Finest. Dedicated in 1998 during the tenure of Governor and Mrs. Lawton Chiles, the life-size subjects engage in a friendly game of “Follow the Leader” and are an ongoing delight to visitors of all ages.

Three Flags

side groundview of 3 flags

Three flags are displayed from the balcony at the entrance to the mansion. The current American flag is at center, flanked by the current Florida flag. At the far left of the display is a second American flag with very large stars. This flag represents the flag as it looked on the date when Florida’s 27th star was added to the American flag: July 4, 1845 following statehood on March 3, 1845.